One of my favs, not only to eat but to make. I’ve literally made this dish a thousand times over a five year period. Guess you can say “I got it down”
One thing people look for in this dish is the texture of the shrimp, rubber or succulent, as any shrimp dish. This shelled protein cooks quicker than you may think. That knowledge is what makes or breaks this awesome delicacy. Very, very easy to overcook shrimp that’s why we cook hot and fast.
When you saute shrimp the average size will be cooked in around 2-3 min. The technique is simple. Very hot pan to create a sear and, give the shrimp a nice brownish finish. So let me explain and we’ll get on with the rest. Let your saute pan get almost smoking hot, not quite but close. Really Hot! After rinsing shrimp dry with a paper towel. Wet or damp shrimp WILL NOT SEAR they will steam. Butterfly and devein S&P . add a tsp or two of olive oil and stand back as you place shrimp one at a time in saute pan. Don’t stir or mix them around! Let them sear and gain color about a minute and a half tops. Now you can peak at one, if it’s got nice golden brown sear flip them. Notice the raw pink center as you flip, that’s perfect. Sear the back side but don’t fully cook at this time. After both sides have nice color take off heat and set aside. Let’s finish now with the recipe and directions to finish up.
- 16/20 count fresh not frozen shrimp
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Couple garlic cloves
- fresh lemon
- Flat leaf parsley
- touch of Parm cheese grated
- Peel and devein shrimp, butterfly
- Get your pan hot... see above for best results on cooking shrimp
- add tsp or two of oil to pan and add shrimp one at a time
- Sear to a light golden brown about 1 1/2 mins
- Flip and sear back side
- When seared but not fully cooked put to side in bowl
- should still have a little oil in pan
- if not add a bit more. NO BUTTER YET!
- Add minced shallots and minced garlic
- Saute for 1 1/2 min... keep it moving. just like the Pros
- When a bit translucent hit it with 1/2 cup white wine and let it reduce and cook off the alcohol
- Should be about 3-4 min to reduce
- Lower heat to low
- Add juice of half a lemon
- Add couple pads of butter. this will thicken the sauce and make it rich and yummy
- Now put the shrimp back in to finish cooking. just about 2 min. Sauce will thicken
- Throw in a Tbs. grated parm and some cut up flat leaf parsley.
- Add to your fav pasta or have some nice french bread toasted with garlic. Yum!