- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large vine tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- optional: crushed red peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes face down in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp to a large pot over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent (around 3-5 mins).
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in tomatoes when they’re finished along with vegetable broth, basil, sea salt, pepper and red wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 20 mins.
- Blend smooth with Hand Blender
Hand blenders are a great way to puree, blend and chop while cooking. They come in a variety of speeds and most include useable accessories. Hand blenders, or immersion benders give soups and or bisques that velvety texture you find in high end cooking. I would recommend you have one in your kitchen for multiple uses. This recipe for Roasted Tomato Basil soup is a perfect example for turning your chunky bits into a smooth, luscious consistency.